Friday, May 21, 2010

House Finch Fledgling!


I'm a little bummed that there are no nests in my yard so far this spring :( For those that haven't read my archives, last spring I had 4 different nesting sites in my yard (2 unsuccessful and 2 successful). It was all very exciting and stressful watching and worrying about all the little eggs, nestling and fledglings but so fun! I signed up for NESTWATCH and so far have nothing to watch. I was hoping the two nests used last year that produced two successful broods each, would be used again this year but nope! I saw a female House Finch rustling around in the 'satellite dish' nest early this spring but she must have decided it's unusable this season. It is really in poor shape so I will remove it in hopes that they will build a new one from scratch in this location someday. Same goes for the 'juniper' nest. Such a great location but the little nest is all filled with pine needles and is of no interest this season. However, even though there are no nests in my yard, there must be some nearby as I had this youngster, fresh from the nest flutter around in my yard for a bit last week! No parents were around that I could see but he sat for the longest time on this branch before hopping over the fence into the yard behind mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment