Thursday, May 28, 2009

Keeping the pesky squirrels out of my bird feeder!

I've never noticed too many squirrels in my yard but when I put up the bird feeder, they showed up. On the first day, a squirrel just sat on the fence and starred at it most of the day then left and I didn't see him for a few days. I figured he gave up. I was wrong because when he came back he went right over to the feeder and climbed right up the pole and sat on my birdfeeder and helped himself. I wish I would've had my camera handy for that shot! Off I went to search the net for a solution. When I was about to head off to the local garden shop to buy one, my husband, being the craftsman that he is informed me he had all the supplies he needed to whip up a quick baffler himself. This is how he did it...

Cut some sheet metal...

Bent the edges in so they wouldn't be sharp...

Crimped the edges together to form a cone...

Formed a piece of wood to fit snuggly under the cone, around the pole...


Some screws to make it adjustable...

The finshed baffler looks like this...

So far it works like charm!

No comments:

Post a Comment