Monday, December 2, 2013

Hummingbird! Finally!





I can't believe it's December and I'm finally posting these photos from July! As you may recall from an earlier post HERE that I tried, unsuccessfully, last summer (2012) to attract Hummers. This past July, I hung 2 feeders and decided to create a little Hummer garden in my front yard. It was late July so it was slim pickins at the garden center. I planted red Petunias to get their attention and added some Salvia they had in stock. They had sold out of the recommended kind (Blue-black I think it was), anyway... no luck. I headed to another garden center and the nice lady there told me to get some Agastache and that they were like 'Hummingbird magnets'. It was on sale so that was a bonus! I bought 6 plants, came home and added them to my garden. Next day, I kid you not, there was a Hummer on the Agastache...just like a magnet they were indeed! The little hummer came back a few more times that day so I finally grabbed my camera and sat and waited, and waited and...got the above shots. I have more on my Flickr HERE from this session if you would like to see them.
Eventually I had two of them politely (and sometimes not so politely) taking turns at the flowers and feeder.

They found a favorite perching spot near the new tree in our yard and would sit there for quite sometime.



My two little Hummers visited everyday for about a month and just like that...they were gone :( I miss them so much!!!
If anyone has any idea of what type of Hummingbird this is, please let me know. I tried and tried to figure it out but they are tricky to identify!

2 comments:

  1. This is a calliope hummingbird: http://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/calliope-hummingbird

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I just checked out the link and gosh darn, I sure do have a Calliope here! I'm so excited and can finally give it a name!

    ReplyDelete