Monday, April 29, 2013

House Sparrows in the bird house!

 On this cold morning in early April, I noticed this male House Sparrow really checking out this bird house that's been hanging in my yard for several years. It has never been used. Birds check it out every now and again but always decline it in the end. 

 End of April and things are getting serious. Male comes around some more and seems like he really likes the place.
Then he decides it's time to show the Mrs. and see what she thinks.

 She likes it and wastes no time getting it cleaned out. Things are looking very hopeful that they are going to raise a family here and I'm excited to witness it. Was hoping for Chickadees bit this will do.

Then I have a slight panic attack! I realized the bird house has been hanging by plastic wire-ties for a couple of years and I had visions of it failing from brittleness with the weight of those little baby birds inside. I must intervene and I could do it when Mr and Mrs aren't looking. I climb the tree and realize my theory was correct, the plastic ties snapped apart with little to no effort. I notice they had imbedded themselves into the branch of the tree from being there so long. This was keeping the house from swinging too much. I had to remedy that since it is no good for the tree branch to be strangled so I placed the new ties much looser. The house swings a bit more but surely Mr and Mrs won't notice or mind. I watch and wait....Mr and Mrs come back a few more times and I think they notice something is not the same and they don't like it. And they never came back again..... :( 


No comments:

Post a Comment