Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Dark-Eyed Junco (pink-sided)




It's only October 28th and we our in the midst of our first major snowstorm here in Colorado! With the snow came a new species to my feeder today! I happened to glance out my window and had to take a double-take at these incredibly fat birds (like little Robins on steroids!). I grabbed my camera and didn't get the most colorful pictures but I'm glad I at least got these as they didn't stay long.
This evening I tried to identify the bird type but wasn't having much luck. Suddenly, I received a comment from Cynthia on an older post stating that she saw two Black-eyed Juncos at her feeder just after the snow started. Being rather new to all this bird identification, I did a search to see what Juncos looked like. Low and behold there was my bird! Thanks Cynthia for helping me out! :) They are cute little things, that's for sure!

1 comment:

  1. They must find a lot of snow storms if you only see them eating when it is snowing...They are fat little guys! You motivated Erica to fill up our bird feeder today.

    Where in the world do they get these goofy names for these birds???

    ReplyDelete