Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Denver Zoo Birds!

Last Saturday I had the pleasure of going on an "Early Morning Photo Safari" at the Denver zoo! I've often wanted to spend some time taking photos of the animals so when I saw this opportunity in the Zoo newsletter, I signed right up. I often take my boys to the zoo and have lots of snapshots of the animals and the boys but I wanted to try out my new Sigma 50-500mm OS lens and get up close and personal with the animals. It was just me with 24 other people and we had the zoo to ourselves for 2 hours before it opened to the public with that golden morning light! I was hoping to come home with a lot more bird photos than I ended up with but 6 hours and 600 photos later I was too exhausted (and starving) by the time I got to Bird World. I WILL go back again and the next time I will hit the birds first! I did come across a few birds on my tour that I'd like to share. That Emu up there at the top....what a face huh? He literally ran right over to me and was very intrigued with my lens I guess. I just love how this photo turned out! Below are the rest of the birds I captured but since I was so busy taking pictures, I forgot to get their names. I'll have to write them down next time I go to the zoo. Feel free to leave a comment if you know any of the names of the birds below that I don't have labeled.

Flamingos


Some type of swan







The following photos were taken when the zoo staff brought out a few special animals just for us to photograph!
Barn Owl



Red-tail Hawk

Thanks for looking! If by chance you would like to see the rest of the animals I photographed that day, here's the link to my gallery Denver Zoo Animals BTW, I pruned it down from 600 to my top 65 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment