Monday, September 21, 2009

Some new visitors to my feeder!

A Blue Jay grabbing a peanut from my feeder! I think this is the first time I've actually seen a Blue Jay although I've heard their unmistakable call my whole life:)


Now this bird I had to research to identify. Turns out it is a Red-breasted Nuthatch! I only saw it at my feeder two times one day and luckily the second time I had my camera! In the picture below, I like how the finch is peeking around the corner watching the other bird with interest :)

All summer long the only birds I saw at my feeder were house finches and the occasional house sparrow so I was thrilled to have a chance to photograph some birds with a little color for a change! I recently bought some bird food with peanuts in it so that may be the reason for the new visitors. I hope to see more but with winter approaching I really have no idea what kind of birds I'll see as I never watched birds in the winter before :)

6 comments:

  1. Blue jay's are so pretty! I really want to get a photo of a Stellar's Jay sometime soon. I saw one in Glenwood Springs but didn't have time to snap a photo before it flew away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great pics! cool blue jay...they are such neat looking birds. The finch peeking around the feeder is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering where you live. I will visit your blog again. I am in Utah and don't have quite the array of birds you do so I am jealous. Thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in Colorado. I guess I should post that on my blog somewhere, huh? I didn't start getting a variety of birds until I changed the food. Have you tried that? Seems like the peanut chips are a favorite. Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I love the new layout! I was wondering how adding your own background worked with scrolling. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so excited yesterday the snow started and in came 2 black eyed juncos. They were so cute. I am so excited to see what the rest of fall/winter brings. :)

    ReplyDelete